Monday, June 8, 2009

Northanger Abbey


Zur Zeit schaue ich abends mal wieder den Film „Northanger Abbey“ (von 1986 mit Katharine Schlesinger und Peter Firth) – dieses Mal zusammen mit Hermann. Der Film gefällt ihm sogar einigermaßen, jedenfalls besser als die anderen Austen-Filme, von denen er ja immer behauptet, dort würde überhaupt nichts passieren … ;) Wir hatten den Film zunächst in der deutschen Version angeschaut, aber die Synchronisation ist so fehlerhaft – teilweise wird sogar das Gegenteil von dem gesagt, was im englischen Original gesagt wird – dass wir auf die englische Version mit Untertiteln (die genauso schlecht sind) umgestiegen sind. Leider kann Hermann nicht gut genug Englisch, um einfach so alles zu verstehen. Trotzdem – es ist eine Jane-Austen-Geschichte und die sind immer sehenswert :)

At the moment I’m watching the movie „Nothanger Abbey“ (the one from 1986 with Katharine Schlesinger and Peter Firth) again – this time together with Hermann. He even likes it, at least better than the other Austen movies, because he always says that nothing happens there… ;) At first we had watched the German language version, but the synchronization is so awful – sometimes they even say the opposite of what is said in the English version – that we switched to the original version with German subtitles (which are just as awful). Unfortunately Hermann’s knowledge of English is not good enough to understand it without subtitles. Nonetheless – it is a story by Jane Austen and they are always worth watching :)

3 comments:

The Editrix said...

I've seen a couple of clips from this movie online. . . to be honest, I think it's my least favourite Jane Austen movie! It's certainly nothing like the book. . .

Barbara, have you seen the 2007 adaptation of Northanger Abbey with JJ Feild and Felicity Jones? It's not perfect either, but I still prefer it to the 1986 version. . .

Katinka said...

Hallo Barbara,
also ich glaube, mein Englisch würde auch nicht reichen, um einen kompletten Fuim zu verstehen, das ist bestimmt auch anstrengend.
uf der anderen Seite übt es natürlich auch :-)

Liebe Grüße
Katinka

sweetly lovely afternoon said...

You are such a lucky woman!:) I wish I could get my sweetie to watch Jane with me. I guess I can settle for one flaw in such a great man!:)

Blessings:)